[LEAPSECS] the big artillery

Harlan Stenn stenn at ntp.org
Sun Nov 2 18:13:26 EST 2014

Network Time Foundation's General Timestamp API Project,

 http://nwtime.org/projects/timestamp-api/

has already started working on this.  We've demonstrated the ability to
handle timescales that use different lengths of a second, and are ready
to handle timestamps that use SI seconds, UTC, IERS-A, Google's Leap
Smear, and Martian Standard Time.  We've done a proof-of-concept that
has this timestamp structure maintained in the kernel clock code.

Timescales have "versions". Ones like TAI are expected to have very few
versions.  Local timezone databases seem to be updated about a dozen or
two times per year.  Timescales like IERS-A get an updated version every
week.

We need help with this - financial and manpower.

If you'd like to see this work advanced, please support us, and if
appropriate, have the (division of the) company you work for support us:

 http://nwtime.org/membership/why-join/

--
Harlan Stenn <stenn at ntp.org>