[LEAPSECS] the big artillery

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Tue Nov 4 18:16:52 EST 2014

On 2014-11-04 04:59 PM, Zefram wrote:
> [...]
>
> The description of leap-seconds UTC is correct as far as it goes.
> The mention of "integral second correction", although correct, conflates
> two issues that would be better explicated separately: UTC only leaping
> by integral seconds, and the TAI-UTC offset being integral seconds.
> The description then incongruously jumps to noting that UTC and TAI
> can both have timestamps broken down into the traditional components.
> As with the ISO 8601 syntax, that's a more generic point that should have
> been discussed separately from the specific details of the time scales.
>
> The description of rubber-seconds UTC correctly notes the TAI-UTC offset
> changing "in fractions of a second", but entirely fails to mention the
> frequency shifts.
>
> The mention of POSIX jumps to ISO 8601, just as the introduction of
> UTC did.  It is again incongruous.  There's a sentence about applying
> "the POSIX algorithm" to a PTP scalar value, which says essentially
> what I described as my interpretation of the note on the definition of
> the PTP epoch.  It says it more clearly than that note, but still not
> brilliantly.  It refers to ISO 8601 again, using the ISO 8601 textual
> representation as a proxy for a broken-down time.
>
> There's some essentially correct discussion of using the count of
> accumulated leap seconds as an offset to convert between a PTP scalar
> value and a POSIX time_t value.  It's described in a slightly roundabout
> way, never bringing out the time_t value as an interesting product, and
> again going via textual representations.  There is some justification
> for this (not discussed in the text): the PTP-derived time_t values are
> more strictly tied to UTC than are wild time_t values.
>
> There is a worked example of time_t conversion, but it's rather
> misleading, because it's in the rubber-seconds era, pretty much at the
> POSIX epoch.  The example correctly describes the "currentUtcOffset"
> value used in the computation being near 8 and non-integral.  The protocol
> can't actually transmit a non-integer value for this parameter, but of
> course it never needs to, because it never transmits pre-1972 timestamps.
> It's also an era for which wild time_t values are not at all tied to UTC.
> So the example is correct, but involves complications that would never be
> encountered in practice.  The example should have used a modern timestamp,
> probably from 2006.
>
> The time_t example has a trivial error in using ":" instead of "-"
> as the separator for the elements in an ISO 8601 date representation.
>
> The descriptions of acquiring TAI and UTC time from NTP and GPS are
> essentially correct.  The statement that "NTP does not correct ... [at
> leap seconds]" is unclear: its intended interpretation implies that the
> clocks behind NTP naturally tick UTC time and would have to be adjusted
> to count TAI seconds, but actually the reverse is closer to the truth.
> The subsequent sentence clarifies satisfactorily.
Thats a quick study of a deep document. You may be seeing how some feel
its confusing.

Have a look at 8.2.4.1 General, 8.2.4.2
timePropertiesDS.currentUtcOffset, 8.2.4.4 timePropertiesDS.leap59,
8.2.4.5 timePropertiesDS.leap61, and related.

> The table of conversion expressions between PTP, NTP, and GPS times
> is correct.  The PTP<->NTP conversion includes a correction for leap
> seconds, and the PTP<->GPS conversion does not; both of these are as they
> should be.
Right. And as I said, its in this way PTP is sometimes implemented.

> (Contrary to Brooks's earlier statement, the table does not
> imply anything about pre-1972 UTC.)
I don't understand why you say that. Can you explain what you mean? It
seems to me the origins of both PTP and NTP are certainly "pre-1972
UTC". Both have counting mecanisms before 1972, and both have
implications for how post-1972 UTC (the Leap Second era) may need to be
calculated, depending on your implementation design.

-Brooks