[LEAPSECS] the big artillery

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Nov 5 16:50:06 EST 2014

On Nov 5, 2014, at 1:59 PM, Michael Deckers via LEAPSECS <leapsecs at leapsecond.com> wrote:

>   On 2014-11-05 16:27, Zefram wrote:
>
>> .......................................................  UTC is always
>> an integral number of seconds offset from TAI, and so by construction
>> UTC(NPL) is always an integral number of seconds offset from TAI(NPL).
>> Hence each of the marks also occurs at the top of a second of TAI(NPL).
>
>  The symbol TAI(k) is defined in
>      RECOMMENDATION ITU-R TF.536-2: Time-scale notations
>  of 2003 with the text:
>
>  TAI(k): Time-scale realized by the institute “k” and defined
>          by the relation TAI(k) = UTC(k) + DTAI, where DTAI
>          is the number of integral seconds specified by the
>          International Earth Rotation Service (IERS) as
>          being the difference between UTC and TAI;
>
>  I do not know whether that notation has ever been put
>  to serious use outside this recommendation.

Ah, that’s interesting. That also post-dates my research about what
to call a TAI time scale that’s based on UTC for our product. Outside
of this list, I’ve not seen TAI(k) and had been told that the notation
I posted would likely be what people would expect, but it would be
even better if we called it something else entirely to avoid confusion.
At the time, I couldn’t find anything beyond ‘Please don’t call something
you do TAI unless you are BIPM’ :).

Warner