[LEAPSECS] Notation for transmitted vs. paper time scales

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Nov 5 23:36:56 EST 2014

On Nov 5, 2014, at 4:43 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> For all practical purposes we could dismiss with paper clocks
> and go real time, but I'm sure astronomers will tell us that
> would do things to the cows milk or something...

All depends on your definition of “paper clock” :) Even 10 years ago
we were realizing “paper clocks” in real time for the Loran C timing
system refresh, and I got the impression it wasn’t that novel a technique.

In that definition, a "paper clock" is any clock whose on-time point comes
from a combination of more than one clock. All this can be done without
bothering the postman to deviate from delivering books and gadgets from
Amazon.

Warner