[LEAPSECS] Do lawyers care (know) about leap seconds?

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Oct 1 09:10:24 EDT 2014

For most of human history there were no global time standards.  In Europe,
many city states had their own distinctive times--Nuremberg Time, Italian
Time, Bohemian Time . . .

The first wave of global standards were implemented by colonialism and
empire.

Implementing global standards without the power of empire is unprecedented
in human history.  Trying to devise a standard that satisfies the
diversity of human behaviors is particularly difficult, particularly when
there is nobody on the planet who knows the diversity of human
behaviors--even among those of us who specialize in the study of such
diversity.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology
Queens College, City University of New York
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11367
telephone: 718/997-5518

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus