[LEAPSECS] Do lawyers care (know) about leap seconds?

Steffen Nurpmeso sdaoden at yandex.com
Wed Oct 1 09:33:04 EDT 2014

"Gerard Ashton" <ashtongj at comcast.net> wrote:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso wrote:
 |
 |> This approach would satisfy all parties: humans can continue to enjoy the
 |cultural achievement of a clock that exactly describes their home planet,
 |and engineers can use TAI for satisfying airplane schedule calculations for
 |businessmen.

 |"Businessmen" can keep whatever time they like for internal use, but
 |whenever a businessman communicates with a customer or another business, the
 |courts will interpret any times stated as being the legal time of the
 |applicable jurisdiction, although in many cases the businessman and the
 |other parties have the option of agreeing to a different time scale. So the
 |businessman who uses TAI internally must either take great care to convert
 |this to the appropriate legal time scale when communicating to outsiders, or
 |must form a contract with each and every external contact to use TAI instead
 |of the legal time scale that would normally apply.

That doesn't sound overall interesting to me, as i personally
neither like businessmen nor lawyers having plenty of negative
examples at hand.  Of course this is a superficial view, i am able
to give you examples of actual characters in each profession (even
a strong and noble one regarding a judge), but exceptions confirm
the rule.

I cannot imagine you wouldn't agree that having CLOCK_TAI (and
CLOCK_LEAPDRIFT) make things easier.  Not an easier way than not
throwing away already available information before it hits the
wire.  So what do you want?  No, i cannot build a satellite.  And
i will not speak against leap seconds only because they are
managed by someone located in France.

--steffen