[LEAPSECS] Changing the name of UTC

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Thu Oct 16 18:39:54 EDT 2014

On Oct 16, 2014, at 3:02 PM, Matsakis, Demetrios <demetrios.matsakis at usno.navy.mil> wrote:

> I'd like to take the opportunity to ask this crowd what they think of the statements below:

 What I think is that the subject of this message is an inaccurate depiction of the situation.

The proposal from the Torino meeting in 2003 was to “evolve from the current UTC Standard by transition to Temps International (TI)”.  UTC would not be renamed, rather another time scale would be created.  UTC itself could remain for backwards compatibility.  Since TI would be a new timescale different characteristics would be fair game, including an absence of leap seconds.  The ITU would then simply recommend TI instead of UTC.

Nothing would be renamed.  Nothing would be redefined.

Rob Seaman
National Optical Astronomy Observatory