[LEAPSECS] the big artillery

Richard Clark rclark at noao.edu
Thu Oct 30 15:12:13 EDT 2014

Well, for historical and archival purposes Julian date nearly always means
traditional days, as in solar days. But for astronomical uses a fixed
unit, the apocryphal atomic day is implied. This means needing to know
delta T if you need to relate it back to a civil date or time.

The term 'day' has an awful lot of linguistic baggage that clearly
implies that the solar day is meant. But now the use of 'day' can be
at the speaker's and listener's risk.

The minute, hour, day, year... these are not SI units. We need to
start considering it sloppy to use them as if they are.

Do we mean 'atomic day'? If so we need to:
  1. say so, and
  2. make it official by defining, rather than just implying one.

Perhaps hectosecond would be better. At least it doesn't invite
confusion.

Yeah, and now to convince anyone to do this.

Richard Clark