[LEAPSECS] a big week for leaps at SG7 and WP7A

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Tue Sep 30 06:43:17 EDT 2014

Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne at joda.org> wrote:

> I can safely say from my experience there, that if leap seconds are
> abolished it will not be with the British peoples approval.

I got the impression from the emphasis on non-technical aspects that the
consultation was designed to get that answer. It's easy to persuate the
British public to vote no.

And I seem to remember from reading the materials that they also ignored
the cultural damage that was done by the introduction of leap seconds in
the first place, breaking a multi-thousand-year tradition of base 60
fractions, making all mechanical clocks obsolete, and so on.

Tony.
Trafalgar: Cyclonic in northwest, otherwise mainly northerly or northwesterly
5 or 6. Slight or moderate. Showers in northwest. Good.