[LEAPSECS] a big week for leaps at SG7 and WP7A

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Tue Sep 30 10:40:09 EDT 2014

As a social scientist who watched the British process from the outside, I
had some concerns about it.  In particular, I was bothered by Minister
Willets announcing his feelings and THEN hiring the outside consulting
group to write a report.

Social and cultural dimensions do matter, but if researched in a way that
can be labelled as biased, then the results are easily dismissed.  A
report by a consulting group hired by a Minister with a clear and
passionately stated position will not be taken seriously.

I was also concerned that the methodology involved workshops that seemed
to educate participants on the leap second debate--that can too easily
push responses in a particular direction. Moreover, the consulting group
that was hired had no experience in researching something like social and
cultural aspects of time.  It is a difficult subject for which to develop
research protocols that do not lead people to particular responses.

I would love there to be more sound social scientific research on this
topic, but most social scientists who study time do not even know that
this debate is happening, and with slow publishing cycles, by the time the
researchers who are working on it get their work out, there is a good
chance that a decision will have been made.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin K. Birth, Professor
Department of Anthropology
Queens College, City University of New York
65-30 Kissena Boulevard
Flushing, NY 11367
telephone: 718/997-5518

"We may live longer but we may be subject to peculiar contagion and
spiritual torpor or illiteracies of the imagination" --Wilson Harris

"Tempus est mundi instabilis motus, rerumque labentium cursus." --Hrabanus
Maurus