[LEAPSECS] Do lawyers care (know) about leap seconds?

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Tue Sep 30 14:22:48 EDT 2014

> So you are saying that the UTC standard is so broken that you have to invent
> your own, which is not standardized by any standards body[*], to get around
> it? UTC is the required time base for business and has some odd quirks which
> mean that to comply with it you have to be an expert on the esoteric quirks
> of UTC, like the 61 second minute. Saying that it has to be sanitized before
> feeding it to the end user says implies that the standard isn?t really a
> standard and you have to ?fake it? by some weird means to keep user?s happy.

How many contracts worry about seconds?

I think it's common for contracts to start one minute before or after
midnight to avoid an English language ambiguity.  Things like "midnight
Monday" might be the midnight at the start of Monday or the midnight at the
end of Monday so contracts usually use 00:01 or 23:59.  A bit of googling
found a web page describing that, but I don't know what they teach in law
schools.

Do other languages have the same problem?  How many languages have a simple
and unambigious way to say "midnight at the end of xxx"?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.