[LEAPSECS] countdown to WRC-15

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Sat Aug 29 15:12:58 EDT 2015

Thanks Steve, I was wondering what was going on (but lazily didn't go
hunting).

Did the question change? It seems like the current statement is more
elaborate, if seemingly somewhat tangled, from earlier versions?

...LEAPSECS/ITU-R/R15-WRC15PREPWORK-C-0008!!PDF-E.pdf

WRC-15 agenda item 1.14

Method A − Remove the leap second insertion or
deletion from the definition of UTC in order to
make it become a continuous time-scale and
either (A1) retain the name UTC or (A2) adopt a
new name.

Method B − Keep the current definition of UTC,
disseminate the UTC time-scale and also
disseminate a continuous time-scale (TAI) on an
equal basis.

Method C − Keep the current definition of UTC
and enable the recovery of the International
Atomic Time (TAI) (C1) or disseminate another
continuous system timescale (C2).

Method D − No change

Method (C1) seems like the choice to me, if by this they mean electronic
dissemination of the Leap Seconds table in some useable form(s), the
obvious missing link since 1972.

-Brooks