[LEAPSECS] final report of the UK leap seconds dialog

Peter Vince petervince1952 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 06:16:17 EST 2015

Hi Stephen,

     Yes, I took part in the initial meeting of "professionals" (so-called
"stakeholders"), where the issues were indeed thoroughly discussed, and
well understood (apart from some unfortunate absences - no-one from the
military was there, for example).  But on the video on the linked page
below, nine members of the public gave their views, one of them said "If
it's not broke, don't fix it", and two others said they didn't understand
what the fuss was all about - it's been working OK for the last 25 times.
 (And none of the nine people were in favour of changing the system.)  I
would sympathise with both those views, but they seem ill-informed: I
believe this discussion has come about exactly because it *is* broken, and
*hasn't* been working perfectly for the last 25 times.

     None of the people interviewed had even heard of leap-seconds -
clearly the stories about the long delays at Sydney(?) last time because of
the Quantas problem were too far away to register with them.  That's all
fine, *we* were busy managing the problem so the rest of the world didn't
have to worry - as it should be.

     But as I said before, I am disappointed that those members of the
public were left with the impression that there is nothing wrong, and we
timekeepers just want to change things for the sake of it.

     Peter