[LEAPSECS] final report of the UK leap seconds dialog

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Thu Feb 5 18:24:28 EST 2015

Hi Stephen,

You're not looking in the wrong places. In fact there is no need to look at all.

Local time is conventionally (legally) an offset from UTC and so if/when UTC steps so does local time. There is no need for a local decision or international standards in this regard. Everyone living in a timezone that is expressed as an offset from UTC gets leap seconds for free, and they all occur at the same instant around the globe.

This next leap second will appear at 05:44:60 NPT in Kathmandu and 08:59:60 JST in Tokyo, local time, 1 July. Note neither nation observes DST. In Seattle, however, a June leap second occurs just before 5 PM PDT (UTC-7) and just before 4 PM PST (UTC-8) if December.

/tvb

----- Original Message -----
From: Stephen Scott
To: leapsecs at leapsecond.com
Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [LEAPSECS] final report of the UK leap seconds dialog

Hello Kevin.

The information specifying that for Japan the next Leap Second will be applied Wednesday, July 1, at 9:00. is interesting in that this is the first official policy on when the Leap second shall be applied to a local timescale. Maybe I have been looking in teh wrong places.
This is a local decision for a local time.
 I am not aware of any international standards that touch the subject.
I would be interested in learning about other jurisdictions that may have published a policy.

Stephen Scott