[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jan 12 15:14:22 EST 2015

On Mon 2015-01-12T11:31:32 -0800, Tom Van Baak hath writ:
> Let me know if I'm using your "most reliable" source correctly:
>
> - Go to https://www.iana.org/time-zones

That indicates the most recent "official release" was 2014j.
There has been no official release yet in 2015 because there
are no imminently invalid time zones.  Releases happen when
there is sufficient need, not all the time.

If you go to the github version where the tzdata development happens
you should find the leap-secconds.list file from last week.

> - Read down until "Latest version"
> - Download the binary data file, 284 KB in size
> - Unzip it into a 870 KB text file
> - Search for the 38th occurrence of the word leapsecond
> - Scroll down the lines starting with Leap
> - See that 2012-Jun-30 is [was] the current next leap second

If you are looking at leap-seconds.list then the expiration date
that Judah Levine inserted should be visible, both as Gregorian
calendar date and as NTP timestamp.

#       Updated through IERS Bulletin C48
#       File expires on:  28 June 2015
#
#@      3644438400

The new version which is in github reads

#       Updated through IERS Bulletin C49
#       File expires on:  28 December 2015
#
#@      3660249600

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>                WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165    Lat  +36.99855