[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Tue Jan 13 07:44:42 EST 2015

On 2015-01-12 02:03 PM, Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> If would really be good if there was one authoritative soure for this,
>> and that there was a uniform format. Ideally there would be multiple
>> ways to access it, via text and binary for different architectures. The
>> might be thought of as a "UTC Metadata API", from which various "UTC
>> Metadata Servers" could be implemented.
>>
>> -Brooks
> One authoritative source or one uniform format is asking for trouble.

Well, what I meant was, IERS is responsible for the Leap Second decision
itself. This information, and its history, (the "metadata") has to
propagate from that source to all consuming systems through some
*official* dissemination channel or channels.

> An NTP pool style list of leap second servers would be a better idea.
Obviously there needs to be redundancy in implementations.

> You don't want the same format for an OS as you do for an Arduino, or for a compilable piece of software vs. a running binary.

That's what I meant - there needs to be multiple ways, appropriate to
each architecture or purpose, to obtain the information. So, that's why
I suggested it as an "API": a clearly defined set of metadata that could
be implemented in compatible ways in many forms.

As it stands there's lots of ways to get it, none of them in the same
form, and none perfectly complete, compatible, authoritative, reliable,
or automatic.

-Brooks