[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Tue Jan 13 08:10:50 EST 2015

Hi Rob,

On 2015-01-12 06:42 PM, Rob Seaman wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2015, at 2:53 PM, Martin Burnicki <martin.burnicki at meinberg.de> wrote:
>
>> I've suggested at various occasions that the IERS should be the authoritative source for a leap second file.
> There were discussions at both the 2013 and 2011 UTC meetings
Which meetings? I mean, what standards body?

> well-aligned with what Martin says, for both leap second info as well as more general Earth orientation data.  One or the other or both are needed under all scenarios.  These are the sorts of details that should be hammered out in advance - and it has never seemed controversial among any of the stakeholders that reliable information should be provided in a good format using flexible protocols implemented on scalable hardware with robust network connections.

If I understand the provenance, BIPM is responsible for maintaining
atomic time and TAI, IERS is responsible maintaining for UT1 and Leap
Seconds, and ITU is responsible for "time dissemination". Whats not so
clear, and it would be reassuring to know, is how the information is
officially shared between these bodies and to what degree its automated.

If ITU is responsible for "time dissemination" it would seem like they
should also be responsible for "time metadata dissemination", ie: Leap
Second announcements, history, and related.

-Brooks