[LEAPSECS] stale leap second information

Steffen Nurpmeso sdaoden at yandex.com
Wed Jan 14 06:57:58 EST 2015

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
 |--------
 |In message <54B621B5.1080909 at rubidium.dyndns.org>, Magnus Danielson writes:
 |
 |>> About one year ago I contacted the folks at IERS and asked them to put
 |>> an expiration date into their leap second file since the existing one
 |>> didn't have one.
 |
 |What would be really useful would be if they provided the current
 |leapsecond count and the date of the next (if known) via DNS.
 |
 |DNS because it has built in caching and works almost everywhere.

Or a new NTP protocol, that would only require a software update
of NTP servers.  The current one is obsolete anyway in ~20 years,
and being able to track TAI for CLOCK_TAI and the leap second
offset for normal UTC time all in one would be fine.  That is to
say that a "that easy it is" as heard from an OpenNTPD developer
doesn't seem to be possible for IEEE 1588.

--steffen