[LEAPSECS] This year's Y2K: 'Leap second' threatens to break the Internet -Brooks

mike at lumieresimaginaire.com mike at lumieresimaginaire.com
Wed Jan 14 17:08:55 EST 2015

Le 14.01.2015 04:28, Steve Allen a écrit :

> On Tue 2015-01-13T11:03:35 -0500, Brooks Harris hath writ:
>
>> This year's Y2K: 'Leap second' threatens to break the Internet
>> http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/technology/leap-second/index.html [1]
>
> In that article is a link to a recent version of the Draft CPM
> document with the options that are being wordsmithed before
> the final tweak gets presented to the WRC in November
> http://acma.gov.au/Industry/Spectrum/Spectrum-planning/International-planning-ITU-and-other-international-planning-bodies/wrc-15-agenda-item-114
> [2]
> At the moment it still has options A, B, and C.

  They don't appear to have been looking very hard at the issue.
   What happened to the option of going to UTC being defined as UT1 to
some agreed precision. I wonder what WP7A have been doing for the last 2
years. They might have even concluded that messing with time was
something that the worlds populations might be interested in and open up
a public forum. It is not as though the current recommendation has run
into a wall.

> There is also a similarly recent writeup from the ITU-R itself at
> https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-R/Documents/ITU-R-FAQ-UTC.pdf [3]
> which gives a deeper story about the lack of vote in 2012
>
> to ensure that all the technical options have been fully addressed
> in further studies related to the issue. It was necessary because
> the decision was not only of a technical nature but had some
> regulatory and legal consequences.
>
> --
> Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> WGS-84 (GPS)
> UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB Natural Sciences II, Room 165 Lat +36.99855
> 1156 High Street Voice: +1 831 459 3046 Lng -122.06015
> Santa Cruz, CA 95064 http://www.ucolick.org/~sla/ [4] Hgt +250 m

Links:
------
[1] http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/13/technology/leap-second/index.html