[LEAPSECS] Bulletin C and all that

G Ashton ashtongj at comcast.net
Sun Jan 25 20:15:57 EST 2015

Rob Seaman wrote:

>Interesting if UTC can indeed be said to have implemented two different
mechanisms whose entire point was to keep Universal Time synchronized with
Mean Solar Time.

The point of the multiple mechanisms was to keep UTC close to UT which is
mean solar time at Greenwich, or wherever zero degrees longitude is deemed
to be.

Rob Seaman also wrote:
> Leap seconds are introduced at midnight UTC, not when TAI modulo 86400
equals zero.

 I would think that midnight UTC is the instant when the UTC time becomes
00:00:00. I would call the introduced second the one that began at 11:59:60
and ended one second later at 00:00:00.

Gerard Ashton