[LEAPSECS] Bulletin C and all that

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Tue Jan 27 05:48:21 EST 2015

Tim Shepard wrote:

>> While you're at it, make sure the words June and December are also never written into the standard. Only IERS gets to pick the month, and everyone one else follows what they tell us. That goes for code, tables, scripts, standards, man pages, etc. We can assume with near-term modest earth rotation rate offsets that IERS will pick June and December, but as the offset grows then March and September, and then other 8 months are fair game as well. So if you want a standard to be robust, please avoid any hard-coded reference to "preferred" months. Note that the current "6 month" advance warning is also not set in stone so no one standard should ever depend on that either.
>>

> And also we might someday get more than one leap second scheduled in
> the same Bulletin C.  For example, maybe someday a bulletin C might be
> issued that says "no leap second at the end of June, there will be a
> leap second a the end of September, there will be a leap second at the
> end of December, no leap second at the end of March, and there will be
> a leap second at then end of *next* June.'  Maybe something like all
> that in the same bulletin C.  And maybe the next bulletin C shortly
> after the beginning of June would reiterate the schedule through next
> June and also announce what will happen at the end of September.
> (This is all speculation, but it would be nice if code that is written
> this year and deployed later doesn't become broken if changes like
> that happen some day.)

At least the new leap second code in ntpd 4.2.8 should be able to handle
this correctly, if I have understood Juergen Perlinger correctly who
wrote this code.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de