[LEAPSECS] The leap second, deep space and how we keep time -Brooks

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 28 04:07:15 EST 2015

--------
In message <20150128021831.GA31019 at ucolick.org>, Steve Allen writes:
>On Tue 2015-01-27T21:41:17 +0000, Matsakis, Demetrios hath writ:
>> Equally unfortunate is that 30 servers in the NTP pool inserted a
>> leap second last Dec 31.
>
>There is no action that the ITU-R can take which will change this kind
>of misbehavior in these already-deployed systems.

Bullshit.

Problem:
	"On hearing certain loud noises, the patient starts shooting
	wildly in all directions."

Excellent stop-gap solution:
	"Stop making certain loud noises".

It would certainly improve things a lot, because clients, which may
upgrade at a different rate than servers, could just ignore any
server which indicates a leapsecond.