[LEAPSECS] All of this has happened before

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jan 28 11:58:23 EST 2015

We each wear multiple hats.  Two of mine are 1) to point out that physical reality trumps standards and software, and that 2) that there are precious few conversations here that haven’t occurred before:

  - Warner has explained his use case in the past.  There are likely no engineering use cases more varied than those related to timekeeping.  He’s simply asking for more notice of future leap second scheduling.  It appears possible now to lengthen this significantly beyond 6 months.  The standard in force would permit this.  (Although as Warner points out, LORAN has shut down since last we talked about it.)

(Whereas the “programmers stink so we need to dumb down the standards” thread has been flayed alive on the dissection table ;-)

We should be pleased to see lively debate continuing in this group after 15 years.  But the ancient wisdom of Usenet holds - better discussions result from reviewing the talking points contained in prior threads.  We don’t have just a few threads available to us on leapsecs, we have the Bayeux Tapestry: