[LEAPSECS] The leap second, deep space and how we keep time -Brooks

Matsakis, Demetrios demetrios.matsakis at usno.navy.mil
Wed Jan 28 13:42:49 EST 2015

To Steve mostly,

It would be misleading to reference the comment in Wall Street Journal article, because people might conclude that staff at the USNO disagree among themselves.   This is not the case, at least this time.   Ed Powers, who is right now heading to the airport, was interviewed because he is a recognized authority on GPS.  As the articles notes, his big point was the unpredictability over very long periods.  He was not attempting to make a new prediction or trying to choose among them.

As I have previously suggested, it would be refreshing if your web pages indicated that it has been recently claimed that the data since 2000 support a prediction that UTC-UT1 would be less than 1 minute by 2100 - and, more importantly, why.  You can quote me if you like.  Although I do not consider myself an expert on Earth rotation, I did work in that field in the 17 years before I switched to timekeeping.  I also ran my prediction past people that I do consider to be experts.   One of those was the person who generated often-quoted 20th century predictions, for example.

Although I sent my reasoning to you off-line a while back, I'd be happy to telephone you about the reasoning if you send me a time that is convenient for you.  I have provided the essence to this listserve already, though.

Demetrios