[LEAPSECS] The definition of a day

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Jan 30 05:34:47 EST 2015

> So, let us suppose the year 2600 is when the drift reaches the annoying
> point, and let us suppose the EU is still in existence. By then the sun will
> reach its highest point at about 12:45 UTC. So at this point the EU
> announces (a few years ahead) that the normal autumn shift back of the
> clocks will not happen. ...

> Dealing with local time changes as you cross borders is something people are
> used to, as is the fact that the amount of change varies both within the
> year and from year to year. So there's nothing new for people to get used
> to.

It's not as simple as just skip an hour shift.

I'm in the US.  We are used to dealing with hour shifts in the spring/fall.
But the system has had years to get used to that.  If you skip one, then all
sorts of things need to get adjusted.  I'm thinking of things like schools
starting in daylight so there are fewer traffic accidents.  It doesn't matter
if they start at 8AM or 9AM or 7AM, but if they have been starting at 8AM and
you adjust the clocks by an hour you need to adjust the starting time by an
hour to get back to where you want to be.

It would be an interesting exercise to collect all the issues like that.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.