[LEAPSECS] Did John Oliver just save the leap-second ?

mike at lumieresimaginaire.com mike at lumieresimaginaire.com
Wed Jul 1 08:11:44 EDT 2015

Le 01.07.2015 10:31, Poul-Henning Kamp a écrit :

I seem to remember there was discussion some time back about getting a
"confidence indicator" in NTP packets.

This example makes that all the more important if people like google are
exposing non UTC compliant data outside their firewall.

I was not monitoring the time{1,2,3,4}.google.com servers, but since
seeing your mail on the subject I checked the offsets and found at
09:00UTC they were out near 0,05 secs, only getting into the ms/us range
at 12:00UTC.

They shouldn't be letting them into the public net. Could this be called
temporal terrorism?

> I'm not quite sure about the consequence of this one:
>
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437 [1]
>
> But it seems possible that large fraction of Linux systems have
> been following Googles leap-smear without knowing it because of
> systemd.

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437