[LEAPSECS] Did John Oliver just save the leap-second ?

mike at lumieresimaginaire.com mike at lumieresimaginaire.com
Wed Jul 1 08:34:29 EDT 2015

Le 01.07.2015 14:14, Poul-Henning Kamp a écrit :

> --------
> In message <acae89d1f40a4725fe18581573f06d40 at lumieresimaginaire.com>,
> mike at lumieresimaginaire.com writes:
>
>> This example makes that all the more important if people like google
>> are exposing non UTC compliant data outside their firewall.
>
> There are very valuable NTP servers serving up special timescales
> (including TAI), so that would be a totally insane thing to try.

   Agreed that there should be a freedom for supplying any time scale
that the users want. It would be nice however, if they could be
distributed using the same vehicule (NTP) but that their "quality,
(TAI,UTC,UT1 or My_TS)" being unambiguously identified in the packet .
Thus, a client could weed out any unwanted data.

> They shouldn't be letting them into the public net. Could this be
> called temporal terrorism?
> https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437 [1] [1]

It seems to me that the problem here is that the Systemd people picked
default NTP serves without asking the owner/admins of those servers
if that was 1) allowed and 2) a good idea.

Sure, this is what happened with routers a long time ago.

Links:
------
[1] https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437