[LEAPSECS] Did John Oliver just save the leap-second ?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Wed Jul 1 09:29:26 EDT 2015

Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> I'm not quite sure about the consequence of this one:
>
> 	https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/437
>
> But it seems possible that large fraction of Linux systems have
> been following Googles leap-smear without knowing it because of
> systemd.

One of my colleagues has also monitored time{1,2,3,4}.google.com, and we
saw that those servers were obviously smearing in the way explained in
http://googlecloudplatform.blogspot.de/2015/05/Got-a-second-A-leap-second-that-is-Be-ready-for-June-30th.html

In fact I was pretty surprised to see this since one of the last
paragraphs on the Google states:

"Google does not offer an external NTP service that advertises smeared
leap seconds."

So I had assumed smearing Google servers were only visible from within
their cloud services.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de