[LEAPSECS] authoritative tz project info

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Mon Jun 1 15:25:02 EDT 2015

On Mon 2015-06-01T12:05:08 -0700, Tom Van Baak hath writ:
> Can you send me a definitive URL with global TZ rules so I can
> grep|sort|uniq to get a feel for when DST transitions occurs?  I guess
> I thought it always was 2 am local (which implies jumps from 02h->03h
> and 02h->01h).

I believe several Arab countries change at midnight.
This is the one-stop shopping authoritative data

https://www.iana.org/time-zones

except that the IANA content is repackaged by various vendors inside
of various toolkits for various platforms, so your system may not
follow those rules.

> Also, possibly related, do you know of any place where DST is +/- 2
> hours instead of +/- 1 hour?  I ask because the still-in-development
> PE (phase encoded) WWVB format appears to allow for such a (non US
> legal) transition.  I can't quite tell if it's a bug or typo or spec.

These are good questions for the tz mail list because the denizens
there have memory of many of the crazy things that local officials
have declared during the history of the tz project.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855