[LEAPSECS] Google, Amazon, now Microsoft

Rob Seaman seaman at noao.edu
Wed Jun 3 11:52:03 EDT 2015

Others may point out that median and average are different things.  (Or that the tails of a distribution may contribute more than measures of central tendency.)

But more fundamentally, programming is not a one-dimensional skill.  Raw coding speed is different from debugging or data engineering or algorithm design.  Expertise at laying out DB schema is distinct from creating coherent new architectures.  Engineering complex systems is a different skillset from designing user-friendly user interfaces.  Etc and so forth.  And basic infrastructure like timekeeping has orthogonal dependencies on all these and vice versa.

Rob
—