[LEAPSECS] My FOSDEM slides

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Mar 5 08:42:23 EST 2015

Tom,

Tom Van Baak wrote:
>> GPS can deal with it, even IEEE 1344 and C37.118 time codes can, but I'm
>> not sure if WWVB can. Anyway, I know the German DCF-77 transmitter has
>> no flag defined to announce a negative leap second, so there would be
>> major problems if one had to be inserted.
>
> Both WWVB and DCF-77 have a single leap second warning bit. With WWVB you look at the sign of DUT1 to know if the leap is insert or delete. So WWVB is fine.

Thanks for the hint.

> DCF-77 has no DUT1 or leap gender bit so, yes, there will be trouble. I'm sure PTB will figure something out if it ever comes to that.

Hm, the question is if existing receivers could handle what they figure
out, and I wonder if existing WWVB receivers check the sign of DUT1 to
determine if an upcoming leap second is +1 or -1.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de