[LEAPSECS] My FOSDEM slides

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Thu Mar 5 08:55:58 EST 2015

Joseph Gwinn wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Mar 2015 21:56:42 +0100, Martin Burnicki wrote:
>> Now in 4.2.8 the leap second code has been reworked and cleaned up,
>> and a very quick look at the source code seems to indicate that this
>> might work again. At least there's code which passes the announcement
>> flag to the kernel, if kernel support is enabled.
>>
>> I think I'll give it a try soon. I'd expect that a negative leap
>> second might work if an appropriate announcement is received from a
>> refclock or upstream NTP server, but it will be interesting to find
>> out if this works with a NIST-style leap second file where the TAI
>> offset decreases at a given date.
>
> Hell - lots of code can't handle a positive leap second, so what hope
> is there?

Should we abandon everything which can't easily be handled, or where
developers don't work thoroughly?

> Right now, GPS System Time is the best solution.  In ten years, I bet
> the answer will be TAI.

Agreed.

And we might already start to think about how to get this right in mixed
environments, e.g. using the NTF's General timestamp API, or find a way
to determine if the kernel time is UTC, or TAI.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Senior Software Engineer

MEINBERG Funkuhren GmbH & Co. KG
Email: martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Phone: +49 (0)5281 9309-14
Fax: +49 (0)5281 9309-30

Lange Wand 9, 31812 Bad Pyrmont, Germany
Amtsgericht Hannover 17HRA 100322
Geschäftsführer/Managing Directors: Günter Meinberg, Werner Meinberg,
Andre Hartmann, Heiko Gerstung
Web: http://www.meinberg.de