[LEAPSECS] Letters Blogatory

Kevin Birth Kevin.Birth at qc.cuny.edu
Wed Mar 11 14:59:28 EDT 2015

Solar time is good for humans, but as everyone on this list knows, solar time is not the same as mean time or UTC.

>From a chronobiological perspective, mammals have a small cluster of neurons at the base of the hypothalamus called the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN).  There are two parts to this structure.  The medial portion has a robust free-running rhythm of around 24 hours plus or minus about 15 minutes.  The two ventral portions connect to the optic nerve and have no strong rhythm.  Instead, the ventral portions work to reset the dorsal part so that the @24 hour rhythm always anticipates the next sunrise regardless of seasonal variations in the length of the daylight period (or the equation of time).  One could say that the SCN is an evolutionary adaptation to Earth's foibles.

The SCN then operates quite differently from representations of solar time, mean or apparent, which chart the rotational day.  In fact, the SCN works much like some old forgotten systems of timekeeping like Bohemian or Italian time, which reset every day.

The features of UTC that we celebrate--continuity, uniformity and standardization--are features that are useful for measuring biological cycles but warp our understanding of those cycles if we begin to think of those cycles as having the same features of uniformity as UTC.  This is true whether or not there are leap seconds.  One of the shortcomings of modern chronobiology and psychophysics of time perception is that as they move more and more into laboratory settings from field settings the cycles are clock controlled, i.e., uniform.  As a result, a lot of current biological science of timing is actually studying how well organisms adapt to humanly created time cycles rather than environmental cycles tied to the Earth's rotation and weather conditions.

Since many human activities are now structured by UTC and not circadian rhythms, many of those activities are, in fact, unhealthy.  In a sense, with regard to what Folkman worries about in his blog, the horse has left the barn and galloped to the border, cleared customs, and now is in another country and most people still don't know the barn door is open much less the horse is gone.  The disconnect between social rhythms, human biology, and apparent solar time began hundreds of years ago when preference in timekeeping shifted in favor of mean time and 24 hour days beginning at midnight, and this disconnect has been exacerbated by artificial lighting.

Cheers,

Kevin