[LEAPSECS] Bio cycles and dueling timescales (was Letters Blogatory)

Richard Clark rclark at noao.edu
Wed Mar 11 18:39:43 EDT 2015

I'm curious about the repeatability of natural biological cycles. I suspect
that most of them are actually triggered by external nonbiological cues
rather than being 'biological clocks' in our sense of the word clock.

Some that come to mind are annual. The swallows at Capistrano (and the
buzzards at Hinkley). I'm not sure how precisely repeatable they actually
are vs their popular representation.

But one that I have directly observed is the large bat colony under the
Campbell Ave bridge over the Rillito in Tucson. During June (Tucson
doesn't have weather in June) they come out en mass starting 7-9 minutes
after sunset. Very precisely, very repeatably. I imagine the cue is more
the illumination level than an internal clock. Also some sort of social
or aggrigate behavior may be involved. Later in the summer the mass exit
is more diffuse.

Some situations of humans adapting (or perhaps not adapting) to other day
lengths that come to mind, other than shift work in general, that come to
mind are the watch assignments on nuclear subs (repeats after 18 hours on
US subs) and mission control operators for the first few months of a newly
arived Mars lander (24h 39m). In the case of the Mars operators it's
tempting to try to actually adapt to the 24.65 hr day. There can even be
enough of them to form a group with some social identity, overlayed on
their home life. Talk about problems of where to draw the line between two
different timescales! The submariners actually are an isolated social
group but 18 hr isn't a period humans are likely able to adapt to.

What studies of these groups (and maybe South Pole winterovers too) have
there been?

Richard Clark
NSO/NISP
Tucson, Az.