[LEAPSECS] Civil timekeeping before 1 January 1972

Joseph Gwinn joegwinn at comcast.net
Fri Mar 13 10:10:55 EDT 2015

On Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:50:56 -0700, Tom Van Baak wrote:

> I didn't think that NTP or POSIX or PTP is what we'd call a timescale.

As discussed in other responses, a timescale requires only three
things, a definition of zero time (or a specified time), a definition
of the "second" (or some other time duration unit), and a progression
rule.  That's it.

By this definition, all three (NTP, POSIX, PTP) define private
timescales for their own internal use, and translate to and from
external timescales as needed.

> NTP is a UTC synchronization algorithm.

NTP is a synchronization algorithm for sure, but NTP is not limited to
UTC, even though the RFCs speak of UTC.  Lots of people use NTP to
distribute GPS System Time, and I bet that there are people now using
NTP to distribute TAI.

> UT0 is a measurement. UT1 is a timescale. TAI is a timescale. UTC is a
timescale.

UT0 *is* a timescale, one that is tied to a specific astronomical
observatory.  Multiple UT0 timescales are combined to yield UT1, and
UTC is derived from UT1.

Joe Gwinn