[LEAPSECS] W1K GPS rollover for some time servers

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Mon May 4 18:38:05 EDT 2015

> On May 3, 2015, at 5:52 PM, Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:
>
> As seen at
> http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/hackers/2015-May/006866.html
> and also as experienced at Keck Observatory last night, some models
> of GPS time servers just did their firmware's W1K rollover, so those
> are saying the date is 1995-09-17.
>
> But the leap second is, inappropriately, getting the blame!

Was code needed to support the leap second in the loop? I’ve not
seen any blow-by-blow analysis on the failure to be able to make
such statements about fairness.

It is my first hand experience in implementing timing systems that
leap-second bugs can be located far away from the leap-second
code and affect other systems in shockingly obscure ways. So while
it might not appear not to be related, experience suggests that
we reserve judgement as to ‘blame’.

Warner