[LEAPSECS] W1K GPS rollover for some time servers

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Tue May 5 21:02:31 EDT 2015

> As seen at
> http://lists.ntp.org/pipermail/hackers/2015-May/006866.html
> and also as experienced at Keck Observatory last night, some models
> of GPS time servers just did their firmware's W1K rollover, so those
> are saying the date is 1995-09-17.
>
> But the leap second is, inappropriately, getting the blame!

Steve,

Oh, this will make your day! Look what was just announced (and read the field service bulletin in the PDF attachment):

https://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2015-May/091799.html

So, yes, we can sort of blame it on leap seconds. Or, actually, the lack of leap seconds. All this because the earth has been speeding back up the past decade.

/tvb