[LEAPSECS] Look Before You Leap – The Coming Leap Second and AWS | Hacker News

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue May 19 12:27:54 EDT 2015

Standards are funny things. Sometimes they get adopted and sometimes
they don't. Sometimes more than one standard becomes the standard.

The leap seconds debate exists because there are two entirely
reasonable ways to talk about time, one based on the sun and one based
on atomic clocks. The solar form has, over thousands of years, created
the view that there are always 86400 seconds in a day, ignoring DST.
Given this, API writers like my self (Java) have no choice but to
provide developers with an API view where there is never ever an
instant where second-of-day = 60. Developers, like most humans, prefer
the fiction that every day has 86400 subdivisions called seconds,
whether true or not. From my perspective, the unwillingness to accept
or create a UT-86400 time scale, and define its link to UTC, is very
problematic. I also think it is the root of a solution to this sorry
saga.

Stephen