[LEAPSECS] Look before you don't leap

Richard Clark rclark at noao.edu
Thu May 21 14:35:58 EDT 2015

Also, UTC+8 has a nominal central meridian of 120E. This may not be
all that much of a mismatch to the population centroid but it is
very highly biased geographically.

Which brings up the question of what sort of schedule do the people
in the western regions actually live their lives on? In the cities? How
about in the countryside? Regardless of the official time on the clock
how do people schedule their daily activities? And however they deal
with it, how would it go over in the West?

Here in the US the place to look is southwestern Indiana to see that
it can be very tricky to "all just live in the same timezone and get
along together" when conflicting social, economic, and geographic
factors come together the right way.

Which then bring up the question of why there aren't more places with
a situation like SW Indiana.

When people live in a sufficiently artificial world (i.e.
urban/industrialized) it's easy to lump it all into having to live
with "shift work".

In the US the Eastern and Central timezones are partially merged to
the extent of television scheduling, and some businesses are a little
biased toward being a little later (by the clock) in the east and
earlier in the west. I'm given to believe that western and central
Europe are like this to some degree too. (Plenty of folks on this list
can set me straight on that one!)

And I'm still curious how the people in western China deal with it.

Richard Clark