[LEAPSECS] What happened in the late 1990s to slow the rate of leap seconds?

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Nov 14 02:47:26 EST 2015

On Tue 2015-11-10T11:37:10 -0700, Rob Seaman hath writ:
> Major earthquakes have been reported to have a detectable effect,
> but only at the level of a microsecond glitch, right?

The calculated changes in LOD due to earthquakes reported in the news
have been smaller than the typical variations in LOD that happen on a
weekly basis due to weather.  Folks in the earth rotation bureaus want
to see a detectable earthquake-induced LOD change so that they can
publish, but I haven't seen such a paper.  I believe that it is easier
to find the effect of a large snowstorm in the LOD data.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855