[LEAPSECS] Leap Seconds schedule prior to 1972

Steve Allen sla at ucolick.org
Sat Apr 23 17:49:05 EDT 2016

On Sat 2016-04-23T14:08:12 -0700, Tom Van Baak hath writ:
> > How far back do we have to go before we have multiple leap seconds *per day* ?
>
> Attached are two plots that go back 380k years.  The MSL (mean sea
> level) is from ice core data and the LOD (length of day) is derived.
> Somewhere in the archives are posts with either these plots or the
> paper(s) they came from, or other information about LOD, sea level,
> and climate.
>
> So not a leap second a day, but a leap second a week would be
> common.  Note 100 meter sea level changes are common too.

My number of around 50 ka does not distinguish glacial LOD changes
from secular acceleration.  These LOD plots exclude secular
acceleration.

> Realize that these are beyond even "Long Now" sorts of concerns, and
> probably shouldn't be allowed to impact current leap second proposals
> or pUTC design decisions.

Definitely true.

--
Steve Allen                 <sla at ucolick.org>               WGS-84 (GPS)
UCO/Lick Observatory--ISB   Natural Sciences II, Room 165   Lat  +36.99855