[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Richard Clark rclark at noao.edu
Thu Dec 1 13:30:04 EST 2016

Could someone provide an introduction to how the rates of these
reference clocks are adjusted? What's going on inside the black box?

For instance, I once tweaked the rate of a cheap sports watch by
opening it up and turning a screw that applied force on the crystal
physically altering its frequency. I'm sure this is not how these NTP
reference clocks are adjusted.

Can the frequency of the crystal (or whatever) oscillators be adjusted
by applying some bias voltage?

Or are oscillations counted and the rules for issueing 1-second
signals adjusted. A count of oscillations will be an integer so
every N seconds a 'leap oscillation' is allowed in the count for
higher precision? and for a rate adjustment?

Or is the phase of the oscillations tracked so precision finer than
the oscillator period is directly achievable?

I'm just making wild guesses here.

Or do the higher level NTP servers use their own local atomic clocks
and not quartz crystal based clocks?

Richard Clark
rclark at noao.edu