[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Brooks Harris brooks at edlmax.com
Thu Dec 1 14:45:43 EST 2016

Hi Stephen,

On 2016-12-01 01:08 PM, Stephen Scott wrote:
> Hello Brooks, Stephen;
>
> What's all this discussion about precision?
Merely about the math of their smear method.

> The smear has tossed the precision of the second SI out the window.
> This is totally unacceptable for an application that requires a
> precise and stable frequency reference (telecommunications and
> broadcast for example).
Yes, of course, but the whole purpose of the smear is to hide the Leap
Second from the downstream 86400-second-day systems, especially
operating systems, that may not be prepared to cope with the Leap
Second. As I understand it, it compromises accuracy for reliability,
buts that the best solution to avoiding potential wide-spread problems.

> Further, this is not the only smear algorithm.
> A proliferation of smears could be the best reason for getting rid of
> the leap second.
As I read it I think Google's intention is to publish their method and
algorithm in the hopes others may follow it. It would be better if
everybody did it the same way, but it will remain to be seen if others
will choose to follow the example.

-Brooks