[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Dec 2 04:00:13 EST 2016

--------
In message <58407DE7.1030905 at edlmax.com>, Brooks Harris writes:

> As I read it I think Google's intention is to publish their method and
> algorithm in the hopes others may follow it. It would be better if
> everybody did it the same way, but it will remain to be seen if others
> will choose to follow the example.

No.

Googles *problem* is that they decided to smear internally, but provide
tons if APIs for the rest of the world.

The most valuable of these APIs, in terms of money, from Googles
point of view, is the on-line, real-time bidding for ad-space in
front of your eyes [1]

Google running on private time up to half a second different from the
rest of the world doesn't work in that scenario, so either Google
had to drop their smear ... or make the consumers of their APIs
use their smear too.

Guess what happened...

Poul-Henning

[1] Ever wondered what "google tag manager" is about ?