[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Fri Dec 2 07:58:13 EST 2016

--------
In message <20161202095852.D2017406061 at ip-64-139-1-69.sjc.megapath.net>, Hal Murray writes:

>> That's another problem with leap seconds: they are irregular and there's no
>> standard way to get the leap second info reliably (though there are sources
>> of data on the internet that are changing that if you are connected.
>
>There is a plan to distribute a leap second file as part of the time zone
>data base.

Even though people have gotten much more aggressive about updating systems,
the fundamental problem is the less than 6-months notice we get.

I don't know what the effective latency is from IERS -> TZdata -> distros ->
releases -> users -> computers, but 6 months is only going to be enough
if everybody pays maximum attention *EVERY* *BLOODY* *TIME*.