[LEAPSECS] private smear goes public

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Dec 2 22:58:00 EST 2016

I strongly urge that they get a lawyer to do write / bless something
like CC0 rather than going to the internet to get a suggestion. This
is scientific data, and the CC0 was done for that. However, I can't
say this enough: they need a lawyer that's an expert on whatever kind
of quazi-governmental agency IERS is, since the rules for them are
'special' and ever changing. In the US, it used to be the case that
all works commissioned by the government were in the public domain.
That's changed in subtle and technical ways and you need to be an
expert to know how to do things. And you need to know what you can or
can't put into the public domain based on whatever contract it may
have been produced for. All these details about the IERS are, at best,
murky and they really really really should get a lawyer that knows the
ins and outs of the laws governing thing that setup of the IERS.

Oh, and did I mention they should get competent legal advise.

Warner