[LEAPSECS] 2016 is not tied for second longest year ever

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Dec 31 00:01:46 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 9:51 PM, Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:
> Leap second trivia for the end of the year.
>
> 1972 was a leap year and had 2 leap seconds for a total of 31622402 SI s.
> 2016 is a leap year with only 1 leap second for a total of 31622401 SI s.
> But according to Stephenson, Morrison, Hohenkerk (2016) the year 1904
> was the second longest year ever with a total of 31622401.41 SI s.

I'd think that 1712 in Sweeden was the longest year with 31708800 SI
seconds (give or take a few hundred milliseconds, my data-sniffing fu
isn't up the challenge of digging through the historical data to find
out how many). That was a double-leap-year. See
https://www.timeanddate.com/date/february-30.html or
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February_30 for detals.

Warner