[LEAPSECS] 2016 is not tied for second longest year ever

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Dec 31 12:10:06 EST 2016

On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 1:12 AM, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:
> Warner Losh said:
>> I'd think that 1712 in Sweeden was the longest year with 31708800 SI
>> seconds (give or take a few hundred milliseconds, my data-sniffing fu
>> isn't up the challenge of digging through the historical data to find
>> out how many). That was a double-leap-year.
>
> What about 708 AUC, with 15 months and 445 days? Surely that completely
> trumps 1712?

1712 for Sweden we know for sure. 708 AUC / 46BC we know less well.
There's several commentaries on the web for this that lay out the
conflicting evidence for the number of days (422, 444 or 445), so it's
hard to declare that the winner if we don't know what the actual total
is :)

http://www.tyndalehouse.com/Egypt/ptolemies/chron/roman/046bc.htm

There's also other year reckonings for other cultures that produce
very long results depending on what you tag as "a year"

Warner