[LEAPSECS] [Non-DoD Source] midyear leap roundup

Matsakis, Demetrios demetrios.matsakis at usno.navy.mil
Sat Jul 2 15:45:42 EDT 2016

I'm surprised nobody reacted to some of the things in Steve's email.  It's probably because 8 years is a long time (7 now).

With regards to the last paragraph, the support for Steve's inference seems rather weak.   I feel an obligation to point out that as far as I have seen my employer, the U.S. Government, isn't the kind to "hold grudges" on these matters .  I suggest that with regards to the governments that supported Method D (more study), the U.S. State Department might be more interested in working with them on the War on Terror than in holding a grudge on a moot point.

Also, the US position was to support Method A, not to abolish leap seconds immediately.    If it had been accepted as-is at WRC-15, there would have been a little over five year's notice.  However the WRC could have made it longer if it so desired.