[LEAPSECS] Time Synchronization in Financial markets

John Sauter John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com
Sun Oct 9 23:32:05 EDT 2016

On Sun, 2016-10-09 at 15:12 -0400, Brooks Harris wrote:

> > I took the lack of mention of leap seconds to mean that leap
> > seconds
> > ere not a problem.  The output of the NISTDC units is an
> > astonishingly
> >  accurate 1 pulse per second.  That feeds NTP, which handles leap
> > seconds using a table.  As long as the table is kept up to date,
> > everyone agrees on each second's name.
>  Except the one to be called YYYY-MM-DDT23:59:60.
>
> There are 86401 pegs in the (positive) Leap Second UTC day. There are
> 86400 holes in traditional timescales in which to put them. Something
> has to to go missing - the mapping is indeterminate. Common practice
> of introducing Leap Seconds on local timescales simultaneous with its
> introduction at UTC places these indeterminate labels at different
> time-of-day points along each local timescale. Non standardized and
> politically driven Daylight Savings rules further complicates when
> these indeterminate moments occur. Meantime there is no standardized
> way to keep the Leap Second tables automatically updated to begin
> with.
>
> -Brooks

Not being a traditionalist myself, I don't feel that there is anything
wrong with 23:59:60 as a label for a particular second.  Thus, I don't
feel the need to map the 86,401 seconds of the last day of 2016 into
86,400 "holes", and therefore I do not suffer any indeterminacy.
    John Sauter (John_Sauter at systemeyescomputerstore.com)
--
PGP fingerprint E24A D25B E5FE 4914 A603  49EC 7030 3EA1 9A0B 511E